JAPANESE DELEGATION CALLS ON SHRI JAIPAL REDDY16 June:Mr. Taniguchi, Vice Minister of Engineering Affairs, Ministry of Land Infrastructures and Transport, Government of Japan along with a delegation called on Shri Jaipal Reddy, Union Minister of Urban Development here today.
The delegation has come to India to attend 2nd Meeting of the Indo-Japan Working Group on Urban Development. Indian Delegation was led by Dr. Ramachandran, Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development. Welcoming the delegation, Shri Reddy said that Japan is the only major country which can be a role model for India in the area of urbanization as population density of India is very high. Expressing his gratitude for Japan’s assistance for Delhi Metro Rail, the Minister mentioned that his Ministry would like to utilize Japan’s expertise in the field of water purification and its re-use. He further said that such exchange of delegations are very useful in strengthening bilateral relationships between India and Japan in the field of sanitation, environment, urban development and urban transport.
The Working Group held wide discussions on re-use of recycled water for non-potable uses, water training institute, earthquake disaster prevention and urban governance and urban planning in India and JNNURM. Issues like sustainable urban transport in metropolitan area, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) policy in urban areas, model city bus services and capacity building in public transport sector were also discussed.
The following areas were identified by the Working Groups for exploring further cooperation:
• Clean Development Mechanism Projects in the areas of sewage treatment/other urban sector projects
• Energy recovery
• Best practices and emerging technologies in Water and Sanitation Sector
• Metropolitan Planning Urban renewal
• Disaster management: Strategies and Technologies
• Geographical Information System (GIS) based utility mapping
• Comprehensive mobility planning and management using intelligent transport systems
• ITS enabled modern city bus service and traffic information management centres
• Capacity building in urban transport in areas such as ITS, rail based transit systems, multi modal integration
In pursuance of the joint statement towards Japan-India strategic and global partnership announced by Prime Ministers of Japan and India in December, 2006, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the field of urban development was signed on 1st May, 2007 at New Delhi. As per the MoU the working group will meet once a year.