Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) today started its Mobile and Landline Consumer’s Preference Registration process to to effectively arrest or stop pesky commercial calls and empowered consumers against unwanted calls and SMSes.
So If you wish to block commercial communications like Unwanted SMS and Telemarketing calls, You can register your preference with your Service Provider either by way of voice call or SMS. All the options for customers will be effective from 1st March 2011.
In either case, you can do so by accessing the number 1909. Please note that this number is Toll Free, which means that the call you make or the SMS you send to this number will not be charged.
In blocking the commercial communication, you have two choices. You can register either in the Fully Blocked category; or in the Partially Blocked category with your choice over calls and sms from certain categories like Banking/Insurance/Financial products/Credit cards, Real Estate, Education, Health, Consumer goods and automobiles, Communication/Broadcasting Entertainment/IT, and Tourism & Leisure.
REGISTRATION OF PREFERENCE THROUGH 1909
1. After calling the toll free number 1909 and selecting the option to register through IVRS, follow the instructions prompted by the IVRS.
2. The IVRS will prompt you about the categories available for registration of customers’ preference i.e. the fully blocked category or the partially blocked category. a. Fully Blocked Category (No Call & No SMS) or b. Partially Blocked Category (No calls; SMS on selected subjects).
3. If you opt for the fully blocked category, your preference will be recorded in the Providers Customer Preference Register (PCPR) and you will be informed of the same through SMS, indicating your unique registration number.
4. If you opt for the partially blocked category, the IVRS will prompt you to opt for one or more of the following subjects on which you wish to receive SMS :
1. Banking/Insurance/Financial products/credit cards,
2. Real Estate,
5. Consumer goods and automobiles,
7. Tourism and Leisure.
You can opt for one, or a combination of some, or all the subjects.
5. Your selected preference(s) will be confirmed by the IVRS.
6. You will get an SMS confirming the preferences exercised by you along
with your unique registration number.
REGISTRATION OF PREFERENCE THROUGH SMS
1. You can register your preference(s) for commercial communications by sending an SMS to 1909.
2. The procedure for opting for various categories/subjects is given below:
(A) To opt for the fully blocked category, send SMS “START 0” to 1909.
(B) To opt for the partially blocked category, send SMS “Start ” to 1909 as given below:
“START 1” for receiving SMS relating to Banking/ Insurance / Financial products/Credit cards.
“START 2” for receiving SMS relating to Real Estate.
“START 3” for receiving SMS relating to Education. “START 4” for receiving SMS relating to Health.
“START 5” for receiving SMS relating to Consumer goods and automobiles.
“START 6” for receiving SMS relating to Communication / Broadcasting / Entertainment /IT, “START 7” for receiving SMS relating to Tourism and Leisure
Note 1: To opt for multiple preferences from categories send SMS “Start ” to 1909. For example for receiving commercial SMSs from Banking Insurance/Financial products/Credit cards and Real Estate, send SMS in the format “START 1, 2”.
Note 2: Preference ‘0’ will always suppress other preferences. If ‘0’ is sent with along any other customer preferences, it will be treated as a fully blocked preference. For example, “START “0,2,3”, will be considered a fully blocked option.
3. On receipt of an option exercised through SMS, the access provider will send an SMS to confirm the options exercised.
4. You have to send a confirmation SMS so that options exercised are implemented.
5. On getting the confirmation SMS, the Access Provider will register your preference and send you an SMS indicating.
Source: Telecom Talk