19 Oct : The Union Cabinet today approved the following salient features for this year’s Haj operations :
1. The Haj operations 2009 would commence from 20th October, 2009 and conclude on 1st January, 2010.
2. The number of Haj pilgrims would be approx. 1,23,211 under the Government subsidy scheme.
3. Every Haj pilgrim would pay only Rs.16,000/- as fare. The remaining fare would be borne by the Government of India.
4. The Haj operations would be carried out from 19 embarkation points as against 17 of last year.
5. Two embarkation points i.e. Ranchi and Mangalore, have been added this year in order to facilitate travel of Haj pilgrims from the States of Jharkhand and Karnataka.
6. The pilgrims would travel on Air India, Saudi Arabian Airlines and National Air Services of Saudi Arabia.
The Ministry of Civil Aviation is entrusted with the responsibility of providing air travel facility to Haj Pilgrims sponsored by Haj Committee of India.