The CJM has figured that the THRUST AREAS for the next 5 years – ie. from 2012 – 2016 shall be as under:
1. Make a city a high–performance city, in a number of areas that are elaborated below.
2. Make the City move towards a regime of zero-carbon emissions, which can then be traded in for carbon-credits, which can fund a major chunk of the city benevolent projects.
3. In concomitance with the above, make the city ENERGY EFFICIENT – with the thrust areas being environment, production, transportation, HVAC & insulation/outsulation, rain-water collection, reuse and harvesting, recycling of biomass, communication, health and housing, lighting and security, and most of all – MANAGEMENT OF CITY FUNCTIONS!
4. Therefore – citizen participation, to improve quality of citizenship! All info shall be in the public domain – with response systems built in. Proactive in approach – with all applications, certification, completions, and payments net enabled – as in airline/train booking nowadays! Professional approach towards decision and policy making – involving experts from various fields to take the final call!
5. ERP systems to be enabled in organizational management – to bring in much needed efficiency, transparency, and quick response to all routine and not-so-routine matters.
6. GIS mapping of all assets, work-force deployment, and project expenditure – to bring in much needed stevedoring and accountability.
7. Proper, crystal clear double entry accounting (Tally) to pinpoint all accruals and expenses – with the help of both GIS & ERP systems. Business intelligence software programs will be the backbone of such accounting systems.
8. Make all attendance on digital recorders directly linked to payroll portals to improve salary accounting thru e-payment thru banks.
9. Public awards to be given for efficiency and performance – thru social, financial and performance audit.
10. Bring in SOPs – Standard Operating Procedures – in a sort of blue-book for the citizens of Chandigarh – to be available on the Net. This will list out all the standard info needed for any process or work to be done by the govt. for the citizen.
11. Build in a system for Redressal – which shall ensure that NO CITIZEN ISSUE shall be delayed beyond the 30th of each month! Each issue involving citizens directly shall be decided by the House or its Committees by the end of each month – so that citizen knows that he does not have to pay a bribe or meet someone behind the Sachivalaya to get his work done!
In fact, the first hour of the House Meeting shall be devoted to CLOSURE or RECONCILIATION of all pending matters!