Mohali, 8th April, 2008: A state level workshop to roll out Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna in the five districts of the state was held here today. Deputy Commissioners, Civil Surgeons and other Senior Officers of the five districts of Amritsar, Ferozepur, Gurdaspur, Patiala and Sangrur, where the scheme has been launched, participated in the workshop.
Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Laxmi Kanta Chawla, Health & Family Welfare Minister told that the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna scheme is targeted to provide health cover insurance for the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families. She said the beneficiaries would include the un-organized sector workers and their families, belonging to BPL category and each such family will be insured for an amount of Rs.30,000/- per family per annum on a family floater basis to meet the health related needs. The scheme would cover hospitalization expenses and take care of most common illnesses including all pre-existing diseases. Prof. Chawla further disclosed that presently the scheme has been launched in five districts on pilot basis; however, it will be extended to the entire state in a phased manner by the year 2012.
Sh. Anil Swarup, Director General, Labour Welfare, Ministry of Labour and Employment, Govt. of India informed that Govt. of India will be contributing 75% share in the annual premium of Rs.561.80 (inclusive of service tax) per family, whereas the remaining 25% share will be borne by the State Government. Thereby, the Central Government will contribute an amount of Rs.436.35, whereas the State Government will bear a cost of Rs.125.45 per family. He said the beneficiaries under the RSBY scheme would be issued a smart card, the cost of which would also be borne by the Central Government, whereas the administrative and other related cost of administering the scheme will be borne by the State Government.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Roshan Sunkaria, Secretary Health and Managing Director, PHSC told that Department of Labour, Govt. of Punjab has appointed Punjab Health Systems Corporation as the nodal agency for implementation of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna in Punjab. He said that presently in the year 2008-09, 215868 BPL families from the districts of Amritsar, Ferozepur, Gurdaspur, Patiala and Sangrur would benefit from the scheme.
Other senior officers present during the workshop included Dr S.K. Bansal, Director PHSC; Sh. Vipin Sharma; General Manager PHSC and other senior officers. The key spokespersons who spoke during the workshop included Mrs. Sunita Chopra, World Bank Consultant who gave a presentation on Smart Cards; Mr. Ramesh Gupta, Technical Director, NIC. The representatives of National Insurance Company also discussed the role of Insurance Company in the scheme.
An open interactive session was held in which Sh. Anil Swarup, Dr. Roshan Sunkaria and other speakers interacted and addressed queries of participants.