CHANDIGARH, September 25: Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Capt Amarinder Singh today said that the Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal’s announcement of giving mass promotions to police personnel was a cruel joke on them as they do not stand benefitted in any way from these promotions. At the same time, he assured, once Congress comes to power after elections he will ensure that they got all the benefits that should come to them with the promotions.
In a statement issued here today Capt Amarinder pointed out, the police personnel have got the promotion only in rank without any benefit in pay. He said, Sukhbir had played a cruel joke on them as he had merely upgraded their ranks without providing them the real benefit. “What do you do with an upgraded rank when you are not provided the due benefits in pay?” he asked.
The former Chief Minister said, while everybody knew about Sukhbir’s intentions that these were done with a view on elections only, but nobody knew that he will cheat and play a trick on them. He said, Sukhbir’s plight was understandable as he had no money to provide benefits to the police but that does not mean he should have played fraud on his own people.
The PCC President observed, had Sukhbir and his government been really sincere towards the police and other employees, it would not have held back their arrears due to them on account of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations. “While employees in rest of the country are waiting for the benefits of another pay commission, our employees have been given only 40 per cent benefit so far, while for the remaining 60 per cent they have been asked to wait for two more years”, he pointed out.