Bhakra Beas Management Board achieved yet another historical milestone yesterday by successfully uprating the first unit of Bhakra Left Bank Power House (BLBPH) under on-going RM&U programme. Under this 2nd phase of RM&U one of the units of Bhakra Left Bank was uprated by 20% from 108 MW to 126 MW. Previously in Phase – I, all the units of BLBPH were uprated by 20% i.e. from 5×90 MW to 5×108 MW. With this uprating, Unit No.2 of BLBPH has achieved the highest ever uprating of the World by achieving total uprating of 40%. This achievement is remarkable in the sense that lot of reverse engineering and research activities were involved in RM&U as the unit was to be tailored for uprating within the existing outer dimensions and civil structures. Due to above constraints, BBMB many times had to face unprecedented problems.
It is also worthwhile to mention that after addition of 18 MW power uprating, BBMB’s share in uprating has gone up to 62% of entire uprating in the Hydro Power Generation of India. Remaining 4 units of this Power House will also be uprated within next two years.