Kohima , 6 August : State Election Commissioner H.K. Khulu has in a notification announced the bye election programme for the conduct of bye election to fill casual vacancy against Council and Ward No. 13 of Dimapur Municipal Council and Ward No 8 of Tuensang Town Council. The highlights of the schedule of the election programme are indicated below:-
1. Publication of election programme – 4th August 2008 (Monday)
2. Issues of Election Notice by Returning Officer and first Date for filing nomination papers – 13th August 2008 (Wednesday)
3. Last date of filing & receipt of nomination papers. The nomination paper shall be filed between 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. during working day – 19th August 2008 (Tuesday)
4. Date of Scrutiny of nomination papers – 20thAugust 2008 (Wednesday)
5. Period for filing review petition to the Deputy Commissioner against the decision of R.O. – 21st to 23rd August 2008
6. Last date for withdrawal of candidatures – 25th August 2008 up to 3 p.m. (Monday)
7. Posting of list of contesting candidates/posting of polling station – 25th August 2008 after 3 p.m. immediately after last date and hour fixed for withdrawal of candidature.
8. Date of poll – 5th September 2008 (Friday)
9. Date of Re-poll (if any) – 6th September (Saturday)
10. Date of Counting and announcement of result – 8th September (Monday)
The hours of poll shall be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the existing electoral roll as published on 12/2/04 shall be adopted in both the Wards. The notification stated that compulsory identification of voters will be made in the bye-election. To ensure peaceful conduct of poll, the model code of conduct for the guidance of political parties and conditions as enforced during Assembly Election by the Election Commission of India as adopted by the state Election Commission shall come into operation with immediate effect within the Municipal and Town Council Wards where bye election is going to be held. This will be applicable to all political parties in the state and the state government.