3 Sep : An Indigenous song and dance festival coinciding with the Amongmong festival of Sangtam community which was organized by the Department of Art and Culture, Nagaland, and the NEZCC, Dimapur, was held on 3rd September 2008 at town hall Tuensang on the theme ‘Rhythms of Unity’. President ENPO Tongthang graced the occasion as the chief guest.
Delivering his address, Tongthang, expressed appreciation to the organizers of the festival and encouraged the people to spread the message of unity and peace to others and also to maintain the principle of Nagaland for Christ. He also stressed on the importance of preserving traditional dress and culture for the future generation.
Later the chief guest declared the festival open.
On the occasion the following cultural items were presented:-
1. Bamboo Mouth Organ and pulling of Log drum by the Changs.
2. Folk song on Amongmong festival and demonstration of Amongmong by Sangtam community.
3. Demonstration on traditional engagement system, metemneo folk song and folk dance by the Yimchumgers.
4. Cup violin (um-ow) and Monyü festival folk dance by Phom community.
5. Feast festival of merit, folk dance and demonstration on cotton spinning song by Khiamiungan community.
Welcome speech and significance of Amongmong festival was delivered by President Sangtam Union, Tuensang, Yonghopi while invocation prayer was pronounced by Pastor Sangtam Baptist Church, Tuensang, Rev. Dr. P. Yanger.
The inaugural function was presided over by Deputy Director, Art & Culture Kohima, Vevo Chakhesang. District Art and Culture Officer (DCO), Tuensang, Mulai tendered the vote of thanks.