New Delhi,31 March :Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries has notified outbreak of Avian Influenza among poultry in Jalpaiguri district [Jalpaiguri Sadar Block (Village Sabeber Kamar, Sampukuri para)] on 27th March, 2008. The containment operations are being undertaken. Central Rapid
Response Team from MOHFW has been deputed to the district.
In the affected area of Jalpaiguri district active house-to-house surveillance has started in 0-3 Km area. A population of 19555 has been covered. 10 cases of fever/URI have been identified in the community. None of them had exposure to infected poultry. In the identified hospital 14 cases with fever/ URI have reported of which one case with fever and URI is admitted but has history contact with infected poultry.
• 137 animal health workers are under medical supervision and chemoprophylaxis.
• In the earlier notified area of English Bazar block of Malda district, active house-to-house surveillance within the 0-3 Km is on. In 0-3 Km area a population of 217999 have been covered. 15 cases of fever/URI have been detected with no history of handling of dead/sick birds.
• In 3-10 Km area a population of 34901 has been covered. 49 cases of fever/URI have been detected and none had exposure history.
• 209 Animal husbandry workers involved in containment operations are under medical supervision and chemoprophylaxis.
• Adequate stock of Oseltamivir, personal protective equipments are available with the State/district authorities.
• There is no suspect case of human avian influenza.
The situation is being monitored.
Facts may please be verified before putting out news reports in the media. Daily status reports are being web hoisted and could be accessed at www.mohfw.nic.in.