3 Oct : The situation so far: * Earlier illegal site near Badshahpur, at Gairatpurbas. Local residents got a RESTRAINING ORDER (Jul 2004) from Central Empowered Comittee (CEC) constituted by the Supreme Court to hear environment cases.
* Post this, illegal dumping at the current site on the Gurgaon-Faridabad highway.
* Over 400metric tonnes of garbage gets dumped every day. Another open dump of dead animals and carcasses has come up approx 1.5 km ahead of the present site.
* It is a heart wrenching sight with dogs & pigs feeding off half eaten animals with eyes popping out & scavengers swarming all over.
* The stench and the filth of the dump extends to a 3 km radius around it.
* The ridge that was once the lung of Gurgaon, now chokes the residents.
* Is the protection on the ridge only so that violation by the authorities can continue unchallenged by citizens?
For over 10000 residents around the dump, this issue gives sleepless nights and unpleasant days. Life of a family revolves only around stopping any further dumping. Men and women are now engaged in speaking with concerned parties towards this effect.
Further action :
* 3 Meetings held with HUDA administrator – G Anupama. Inspite of assurances dumping continues.
* Writ petition filed in the High Court in 2007 in Chandigarh to stop this.
* 2 truck drivers arrested at the site while dumping.
* 3 peaceful protes rallies by the residents held at the dump. On 22Sep08 protest, the crossing christened as Kachra Chowk by over 500 residents including CEOs & cricketer Yuvraj.
* Chief Minister Hooda asked Haryna administration to look into the matter, as reported by The Hindustan Times on 25 Sept 08.
No resolution to the problem by the Gurgaon administration.
* Court hearing on 03Oct08. Busload of 40 residents of DLF going to Chandigarh.They intend to speak with the Chief Administrative Officer of HUDA and other officials of the administration.