Chandigarh,6 Dec : This is the first meeting of the present Senate and I take this opportunity of welcoming all the distinguished members. I expect a lot of guidance from all the Hon’ble members of the Senate and full support and cooperation for the growth of this prestigious University to achieve many new goals and a new vision.
2. The Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, has selected our University for the PURSE (Promotion of University Research and Scientific Excellence) award which included a grant of Rs. 10 crore per annum for three years.
3. To commemorate the role of Kuka movement in the national independence and for the development of Punjab and the nation, we have recently organized an International meet on the movement in order to give fillip to the language of Punjabi and Punjabiat.
4. The Govt. of Punjab has organised the 17th All India Forest Games & Sports Meet from December 3-7, 2008 in the Panjab University campus. The event was inaugurated by Hon’ble S. Parkash Singh Badal, Chief Minister, Punjab.
5. The University is co-hosting a Workshop on Centre State Relations on 10th and 11th December, 2008 under the aegis of the MHA, Govt. of India.
6. The University has successfully organized the 78th annual session of the National Academy of Sciences India from 21-23 November. More than 400 Scientists from all over the country participated in various sessions. With a view to develop a scientific temper amongst school children, Children Science Congress was also organized on 23rd November, which has been appreciated well by Prof.M.G.K.Menon and Prof.P.N.Tandon,the renowned Scientists. My special thanks to Dr.V.K.Anand and Dr.K.P.Singh for organizing the Conference in a nice manner.
7. The Committee constituted under the Chairmanship of Prof. R.P.Bambah, former Vice-Chancellor to search suitable awardees for the Vigyan Rattan and Udyog Rattan have recommended the following names:
i) Vigyan Rattan Prof. G.S.Khush, Adjunct Professor
University of California, USA.
ii) Udyog Rattan Sh.Sunil Mittal,Chairman and CEO
8. The Syndicate of Guru Nanak Dev University has decided to confer Professor Gurdip Singh Randhawa Oration Award in Human Genetics for the year 2007 on the Vice-Chancellor of the Panjab University.