CHANDIGARH- January 26, 2010: Greetings, Guard of Honour, Patriotic Songs, dances, thematical programmes creating social awareness, distribution of sweets and snacks formed part of Republic Day celebrations at Panjab University Campus here today. Padam Shri Prof. R.C. Sobti, Vice-Chancellor, Panjab University hoisted the national flag.
Addressing the gathering in Hindi, Prof. Sobti gave heartiest wishes on this auspicious occasion. He said that 60 years ago the literacy rate, mobility of people and sources of awareness in the country were very low and now that nation has made a remarkable development in these fields, particularly in the field of higher education.
Prof. Sobti appreciated the makers of Indian Constitution for their long sightedness. One example of their invaluable contribution is the words/language used in the Preamble which makes it as a Sustainable Philosophy. The gathering said in one voice “JAI HIND” for their long sightedness.
Prof. Sobti emphasized that the higher education institutions are not only for providing higher education but they are closely associated with the over all development of the nation. Is Panjab University preparing students those who are helpful in maintaining the impartial secular, sovereign and democratic set up of the nation? On such questions they have to think of. Recently released film “Three Idiots” has brought some questions before us. On these questions the people closely associated with education should thoroughly deliberate.
Prof. Sobti said that no doubt the higher education has made a commendable development during the last 60 years and it is a remarkable achievement from the point of view of internal level but on the other hand when we compare it with developed nations, then it is too small… “This is not the time to stop but to march ahead by facing the changing conditions.
Prof. Sobti highlighted various achievement of the University during the last few years by quoting “Jis Din Say Chala Houn, Mary Manjim Par Nazar Hai, Age Main Kabhi Meil Pather Nahi Dekha”.
The following participants in Parade/other activities on the eve of Republic Day function were honoured with Trophies:
1. Parade Commander Shri Ashok Kumar Gautam, Security Offier
2. 2nd Commander Shri Vikram Singh, Assistant Security Officer
3. Platoon Leader No.1 Shri Amarjit Singh, Assistant Security Officer
4. Platoon Leader No.2 Shri Prem Singh, Security Guard
5. Unit Commander NCC, Shri Gurdip Singh
6. Platoon No.3, Mr. Kanan Gill, Ankur School
7. Band from Guru Gobind Singh Ratwara Sahib, Mr. Paramvir Singh
8. Mr. Jagdish Ram, Music Department
9. Students of Defence Studies Department: Mr. Kovid and his team
The celebrations also witnessed appreciation and awards to those who had done commendable work. Those who were honoured for their commitment, sincerity and alacrity included:-
1. Sh. Ram Chand, Gunman
2. Sh. Bhupinder Singh, Security Guard
3. Sh. Prem Singh, Security Guard
4. Sh. Avdesh Kumar, Security Guard
5. Sh. Jaya Nand, Security Guard
6. Sh. Salim Khan, Security Guard (on contract basis)
7. Sh. Manoj Kumar, Secuity Guard (on contract basis)
8. Sh. Gaurav Sharma, Secuity Guard
In addition to this, the following members of All India Inter-University Gold Winning Badminton Team of Panjab University were honoured with Commendation Certificate:
1. Dr. C.S. Grewal, University Director of Physical Education.
2. Shri S.K. Mahajan, Coach (Badminton Team), P.U.
1. Mr. Sunil Kumar, P.U. Campus
2. Mr. Oscar Bansal, P.U. Campus
3. Mr. Prerak Sharma, P.U. Campus
4. Mr. Saurav Kapoor, SGGS College, Chandigarh
5. Mr. Tushar Badechha, SGGS College, Chandigarh
6. Mr. Aman Sethi, SGGS College, Chandigarh
7. Mr. Vishall Mehta, MGKM SS College of Physical Education, Jhakroudi, Samrala (Ludhiana).
The Vice-Chancellor also appreciated Mrs. Rajinder Uppal, Principal, Ankur School, Ms. Leena Verma, Principal, Guru Gobind Singh Vidya Mandir, Ratwara Sahib and NCC Cadets of Navodaya Vidayala for making this programme a success.
The children from these schools presented a colourful pageant and regaled the audience by their wonderful performances.