MRI and CT tests charges during first 48 hours in Emergency
PGI authorities need to relook its policies towards ‘Aam Aadmi’
Chandigarh 13th December; The PGI has been claiming that it is providing free treatment to more than 20% public / patients whereas these poor free patients get only free diagnostic services during OPD and diet and admission charges free during indoor services. However, more than 80% poor free patients are asked to arrange medicines, drugs and surgical items from their own sources. The remaining 20% get special recommendations of doctors for free medicines, drugs and surgical items but it is now known that how many of them get free medicines, drugs and surgical items and how much delay is caused badly affecting their health or chances of survival.
Though, PGI is claiming free treatment to poor patients but it is not following the definition of ‘treatment’ under Rule 2 (h) of the Central Services (Medical attendance) Rules, 1944, which is reproduced below;
(h) “Treatment means the use of all medical and surgical facilities available at the Government hospital in which the Government servant is treated and includes–
(i) The employment of such pathological, bacteriological, radiological or other methods as are considered necessary by the authorized medical attendant;”
Further, the PGI has been claiming free treatment for first 48 hours to the patients coming to Emergency / Casualty. Normally, it should include free radiological services like MRI and CT Scan but the PGI is charging for MRI and CT Scan from these emergency patients.
The facility was introduced so that no patient dies because of medical aid in case of non-availability of money in emergent situations like Accident, Cardiac Arrest, Brain Stroke, etc. Sometimes even family members are not with the patient. Such emergent condition demand CT/MRI investigations but PGI is charging for CT/MRI against their claim of free treatment during first 48 hours.
Further, the facility of free treatment during first 48 hours is limited to new patients. In case, an old registered patient met with an Accident, Cardiac Arrest or Brain Stroke; etc., and presents his old Registration Card, such a patient is not provided free treatment even during first 48 hours.
Needless to add that the AIIMS is providing more than 90% diagnostic services including surgeries free of cost to OPD and General Ward patients, which are being charged at PGI, Chandigarh.
PGI authorities need to relook their policies to give desired relief to ‘Aam Aadmi’ who is the real and ultimate sufferer of the undemocratic and anti people policies of PGI authorities. It is high time that the “Aam Aadmi’ is not forced to pay for health services which are beyond their reach even in Government hospitals what to talk of in private sector.