Chandigarh 8th February; The PGI Contract Workers Union has strongly condemned PGI Administration for its failure to release the salary for the month of January, which was to be paid on 7th February, 2011 under the Act.
On 9th December, 2010, an agreement was arrived at between the PGI Administration and PGI Contract Workers Union wherein the Management stated that all the workers will receive the enhanced wages on DC rates, however, the difference of arrears of wages have not been paid. Further the salary for the month of January, 2011 has also been delayed once again.
The PGI Contract Workers Union has been feeling cheated and betrayed by Dr. K. K. Talwar, Director, PGI.
The PGI Administration has not implemented the award dated 11.1.2010 given by Deputy Chief Labour Commissioner (Central), Chandigarh for payment of similar wage to contract workers as paid to directly employed workers by PGI. The Union will decide to file execution proceedings under Section 33-C (1) of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 before the Appropriate Government i.e. Assistant Labour Commissioner.
Standing Finance Committee of PGI has already revised the salary of 10 categories of contract workers as per 6th Pay Commission namely Drivers, Dark Room Attendant, Medical Record Technician, Receptionist, Stenographers, LDC, Storekeeper, etc. in its meeting held on 24.7.2010
On 3.1.2011, the Union had submitted a memorandum on the following 5 issues;
1. Payment of arrears of revised DC rates from June, 2011 to September, 2011 to Hospital Attendants, which has already been paid to Bearers under the charge of M/S Om Securities, who have paid enhanced DC rates for April and May, 2010 to Hospital Attendants also when the work was with it for a short duration.
2. Grant of leave and holidays as assured on 9th December, 2010.
3. Strict disciplinary action against Sh. P.C. Sharma, CSO for outraging the modesty of women workers, beating, slapping and intimidating with peaceful workers waiting for payment of their salaries, and for unnecessarily instigating and provoking the workers which led to unfortunate strike on 3rd December, 2010.
4. Withdrawal of false and fabricated FIRs and cases lodged against representatives and active workers of Union.
5. Illegal marking of full day absence of about 80 workers who went for an hour, with information and permission, to appear before SDM in the case / complaint lodged by PGI u/s 107 & 151.for withdrawal of false FIRs lodged against active workers as agreed upon, release of arrears of difference of wages,
However, there has been no response from the PGI management so far.
On 7.2.2011, the PGI Contract Workers Union has served a notice under Section 22 (1) (b) of the I.D. Act, 1947 for one day strike in support if its just and genuine demands and grievances.