Anurag Singh Tagra Resi-Cum-office:
Advocate H.No.- H.E.-16, Phase-9,
Punjab and Haryana High Court SAS Nagar, Mohali(Punjab)
Chandigarh Mobile: 09815992045
The Managing Director
Star India Pvt. Ltd.
Off Dr. E. Moses Road
The Managing Director
Master Piece, 2nd floor,
Marol Naka, Kurla Road,
Andheri (E), Mumbai-400059
The Managing Director
Okhla Industrial Estate
Date: December 27, 2011
Subject: Legal notice
Under instructions and authorization from my client Ms. Manjit Puri, North India Head, All India Mother In Law Protection Forum (an NGO), having its regional office at H.No. 225, Sector 80, SAS Nagar, Mohali(Punjab) , I hereby serve upon you the following legal notice:-
- That you are telecasting a serial named ‘Diya Aur Baati Hum’ at 9:00 pm daily on Star Plus Channel which has its repeat telecasts at 12:00 noon and 3:30 pm the next day.
- That in the episode telecast on 23.12.2011 at 9:00 pm it is indicated that the character ‘Meenakshi’ who is the younger daughter-in-law of the character ‘Bhabho’ lodges a false and frivolous complaint against her mother-in-law ‘Bhabho’ under the Domestic Violence Act and the police reaches the house of ‘Bhabho’ to arrest her. The police inspector in the episode mentions categorically that a complaint under Domestic Violence Act has been received by him from ‘Meenakshi’ and thus they are there to arrest ‘Bhabho’. Not only this, the police inspector brandishes the handcuffs in front of ‘Bhabho’ and ‘Bhabho’ is shown petrified due to this. Moreover, the complaint is received on telephone by the police officer and the name of the complainant is kept secret.
- That in the episode telecast on 26.12.2011 at 9:00 pm the police finally arrests ‘Bhabho’ and puts her behind the bars and misbehaves with her as lady police officer is shown pushing her inside the lockup. Not only this the elder daughter-in-law of ‘Bhabho’ is shown consulting a lawyer and the lawyer suggests that if domestic violence is proved then there is three years of imprisonment to the guilty.
- That my client is an office bearer of an NGO which is making efforts, nationwide, to stop the misuse of the 498a, 406, Domestic Violence Act and other laws and acts which are being commonly misused to harass the innocent husbands and other family members of the males by their wives.
- That there have been many surveys conducted by many competent organizations which show that majority of the accused in the said cases are innocent and are ultimately acquitted by the courts.
- That this being a very sensitive issue concerning the public at large , there are serious efforts going on in various wings and departments of the Government including the Parliament to curb the misuse of the said laws to harass the innocent
people. Even the media and courts have taken strong exception to the misuse of these laws by many females for ulterior motives.
- That the said episodes of the serial being telecast by you has first of all highlighted a false and frivolous complaint made by the daughter-in-law and has sufficiently advertised the ease with which the mother-in-laws and the other family members can be put behind the bars by the ill natured daughter-in-laws. Moreover, there is no provision of arrest in Domestic Violence Act and no imprisonment of three years as shown in the episodes. This act of yours has infact popularized the misuse of the said law and has projected the Indian Law in a highly distorted manner which can be extremely detrimental to public interest. The episodes have added fuel to the fire and have pumped up the problem which is already a growing menace.
- That till date many people and many members of my client(NGO) have complained in writing to my client to take note of this misguiding telecasts and initiate legal action in this regard.
- That it is therefore demanded by the way of this legal notice that you immediately stop the telecast of these misguiding episodes of the serial and start running the a scrolling message/apology in English and other languages according to the areas where the serial is being telecast during the telecast of the serial in sufficiently bold letters and make serious efforts to guide the viewers about the actual position of the Domestic Violence laws in the country and thus safeguard the interest of the public at large instead of spreading wrong information to the general public.
10. That after implementing the above desired actions intimate my client/me in writing about the actions taken by you in this regard.
11. That in case you fail to implement the above demanded actions within 3 days of the receipt of this legal notice my client has left clear instructions with me to approach the competent court of law for justice and safeguarding of the public interest and in that case the cost of litigation, harassment and the cost of sending this legal notice i.e. Rs. 1000/- which has been assessed by me will have to be borne by you.
Copy retained in my office for further action if necessary.
(ANURAG SINGH TAGRA)