The India Post, Chandigarh, 3rd September, 2008 :The Department of English is starting an English Proficiency Course of three months (13 weeks) duration, open to students and research scholars from all disciplines and all countries. It is a unique course that helps develop overall proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing English.
Taught by experienced faculty of the Department of English, it adopts an updated approach that addresses students’ problems and areas of difficulty in using English
for both academic and general purposes. Its main features are:
• Practice in listening to English and a thorough grounding in spoken English
• Developing better reading skills
• Practice in notemaking, letters, resume writing and writing of academic papers.
• Interactive sessions, individual feedback, opportunity for discussion, pair
work and group activity.
• Ongoing assessment, end of course presentation and test.
A certificate will be given at the successful completion of the course.
There is an upper limit of 30 seats in the course. The course fee is Rs 6000, to be paid in full at the beginning of the course. Handouts and worksheets are included in the course fee. Students will need to buy reference material such as dictionaries on their own. Applications on plain paper, complete with testimonials can be made to the Chairperson, Department of English, Arts Block I, Panjab University, Chandigarh,
160014, Students must apply by 21 September for the first course which starts in
October 2008, according to Professor Shelley Walia, Dept. of English, PU.