Dr. Avnish Jolly, Chandigarh, 30th October, 2008 :Chandigarh, October 30: Advocating the need of a comprehensive support system for the Mentally challenged children, who do not have anybody to look after them, the Governor of Punjab and Administrator UT, Chandigarh, General (Retd.) S.F. Rodrigues directed the senior officials of Chandigarh Administration to re-examine and develop plan of a home for the mentally Challenged persons during his visit today at various upcoming projects in the city.
Governor Rodrigues has directed the officials to modify the existing plan and prepare plan for a comprehensive support system for the mentally challenged and develop proper infrastructure, constituting their accommodation, food and other essentials things. He also emphasized that the plan should be drafted keeping in view of the contemporary and futuristic requirements so that it could be expanded further.
General Rodrigues also visited the construction site of the Home for Mentally Challenged in Sector 31. He directed the officials to expedite the construction work and to complete it by the month of January 2009.
He also visited the upcoming Vocational Training Center for the Disabled in Sector 46. The construction of the Center is almost complete and the possession for the same will be given to the Department of Social Welfare shortly.
Later, General Rodrigues visited the Working Women Hostel, Sector 24. He inspected the expansion work of the Hostel. 70% of the expenses for the Hostel are borne by the Government of India while the rest 30% by the Chandigarh Administration. 90% of the construction work has been completed.
Secretary to Governor, Mr. M. P. Singh, UT Home Secretary, Mr. Ram Niwas, Director Health Services, Dr. M. S. Bains, Director Social Welfare, Ms. Amandeep Kaur, Director Principal, GMCH-32 and Director, Government Institute for Mentally Retarded Children, Prof. Raj Bahadur, Sector 32 and other senior officials accompanied him during his visit and briefed him about the progress of the ongoing projects.