CHANDIGARH, SANJAY PAHWA, 6 Mar : The 54th Annual Prize Distribution Function of Govt. College for Girls, Sector-11, Chandigarh was held today. Shri Ram Niwas, IAS, Home-cum-Education Secretary, Chandigarh Administration, was the Chief Guest on the occasion. Mr. Ajoy Sharma, Special Secretary Finance and Director Higher Education, UT Administration, Chandigarh was the Guest of Honour. Students invoked Goddess Saraswati, Goddess of knowledge by Saraswati Vandana.
Chief Guest Shri Ram Niwas gave away the prizes to the students who excelled in academics, sports and extra-curricular activities and congratulated the prize winners and faculty members. In his Presidential address he inspired the students never to close the doors of their minds and always be open to learning as the power of knowledge will lead to success. He stressed upon three basics- time management, positive attitude and focus.
Quoting from Gita, he motivated them to follow the “karma” theory. He urged them to help preserve national and cultural heritage, say no to drugs, generate awareness against female foeticide and conserve environment. Earlier presenting the College Annual Report, Mrs. Achla Dogra, Principal of the college, highlighted the glorious achievements of the students in the fields of academics, extra-curricular activities and sports at the university, inter-university, state and national levels.
* As many as 458 prizes were awarded to the students in various categories.
* 283 students bagged prizes for their academic performance.
* 118 students won prizes for their excellence in extra-curricular activities like public speaking, dance, vocal music, instrumental music, drawing and painting, dramatics etc. Editors of College Magazine, Members of Students Council, and Presidents of various departmental societies and winners of library competitions were also honoured.
* 19 students were awarded the College Colour.
* 10 students were awarded the Roll of Honour in sports for their achievements at the various inter-university, state and national level championships.
* 16 students were awarded the Roll of Honour for extra-curricular activities.
* 2 Cadets of NCC were awarded-Sr. Under Officer Karishma Dhankar and Under Officer Jyoti Thakur.
* Ms. Nidhi Setia was awarded for being the Best volunteer of NSS.
* Ms. Karishma Dhankar was awarded Roll of Honour and College Colour in NCC for participating in Republic Day Parade at Rajpath on 26th January 2010 and Gold Medal at Prime Minister’s Rally.
* Ms. Isha Jain was awarded for being the Best Blood Donor.
* Ms. Navneet Kaur of B.A-III was given an award for Best All Round Player of the year.
* Ms. Pinki Rani of B.A-I was given award for All Round Best Athlete of the year.
* Ms. Kiran Kapoor of B.Com-III was awarded the Nirmal Vasudeva Scholarship of Rs. 6000/- which is awarded to a meritorious needy student in the memory of Smt. Vasudeva, wife of Sh. K.D.Vasudeva, Former Chief Secretary, Punjab.
* Ms. Amandeep Kaur of B.Sc-III was awarded M.C. Bhatia Award of Rs.1500/-instituted by Mrs. Kamlesh Chopra as the Best All Round Physics student.
* Ms. Vanita Sharma of B.A-III was awarded Mrs. Sharan Makkar Memorial Award of
Rs.1100 and a trophy for being the outstanding student in Punjabi.
* Ms. Priya Negi of B.A-III was awarded Irameet Memorial Award of Rs. 600 for standing first in aggregate in B.A-III.
* Ms. Mitika Kanwar of BA-III was declared the All Round Best Student of the college at the Graduate level.
* Ms. Rishampreet Kaur of M.A-II Music Vocal was declared the All Round Best Student of the college at the Post-Graduate level.
Students also performed a Group Song “Nadiya Na Piye Kabhi Apna Jal” which won first position in the Zonal Youth Festival and second position in Inter-Zonal Youth Festival.