Dr. Ashwani Kumar
Honourable Minister of Law & Justice
Sub :- Registering a strong protect on dangerous legal recommendations of Justice Verma Committee
This letter is to highlight the shocking level of biased and anti-male , feminist inspired legal recommendations released by the Justice Verma committee. For all the legal acumen boasted by the committee it is essentially a list of archaic provisions like exemption from punishment of sexual assault just because accused is a woman, Presumption of guilt of a man, suppression of evidence of previous sexual behavior of accuser , addition of a section for matrimonial rape in additional to the already 15 laws available to cruelty for women in a matrimonial setting and exemption of punishment for misusing a dangerous law. The list goes on and on and lead me to believe that this the committee was less interested in attacking the problem and more interested on attacking men and was a nothing more than a feminist inspired eyewash.
Will India now become a haven for Female sex offenders ?
Rarely a day do goes by when we do not hear of a female teacher bring arrested for criminally chargeable sexual conduct with her teenage male students. Rapes of drunk or unconscious males by individual women or gang of women is also very commonly reported in the west. Female sex offenders are increasing at a very rapid rate in the west and in India some studies count them as high as close to 50% of the total volume of sex offenders. The United States Department of Justice which found a rate of 8.3% for “Other sexual offenses” for females and The Australia Bureau of Statistics found a rate of 7.9% for “Sexual assault and related offences” for females.In a study of 17,337 survivors of childhood sexual abuse, 23% had a female-only perpetrator and 22% had both male and female perpetrators.The National center for child abuse and neglect in the US states that the sexual abuse of children by women, primarily constituted 25% (approximately 36 000 children) of the sexually abused victims. This statistic is thought to be underestimated due to the tendency of non-disclosure by victims. The Justice verma in all its legal acumen choose to be deliberately ignorant on the above issue and making India into a female sex offender haven.
All rights for ONLY women , Men handed down draconian unjust provisions denying them right to fair trail
While the human rights , social rights , legal rights of women were brought up many times by Justice Verma in his press conference , none of the same rights have been conferred on men through his legal recommendations. Men cannot expect to get a fair trail should any of these recommendations come into existence.
- From the report it is clear that a handful of women’s groups were selectively invited for deposition in front of the committee. Most of these groups invited are widely known for their aggressive anti-male approach to gender laws and inclination to deny protection to men from crimes committed by women.
- That not a single organization working for men’s welfare was invited shows the poor democratic values displayed by the committee. The committee owes an explanation to the citizenry on how it could get the time to listen so many women’s groups but could not find the time to listen to even one men’s welfare group even though men constitute 50% of the population. Mens groups provide a very honest and balanced view on legal issues and ought to be listened to all contexts.
- Female sexual predators have been exempted from sexual assault just on account of their gender and the perpetrator has been made a man always. This is a grossly anti-male stance even as the law commission in its years of collective legal expertise believes that women are as likely to commit sexual assault as men.
- Punishment for sexual harassment at workplace has now been removed without any reason whatsoever. Also protection for men from sexual harassment has not been included. World over more than 35 countries have gender neutral sexual harassment laws, a fact that this committee has ignored the reasons for which are not knows.
- The question of false rape cases has not been addressed even as the media and police from various states report that false rapes constitute over 75% to 90% rapes in India. It is believed that rape laws are misused even more than IPC 498a in some by some studies.
- Matrimonial rape has been included as an additional section even though DV act is more than capable of addressing these issues. This has been done just to duplicate another cruelty law to increase misuse against men with another anti-male matrimonial recommendation. It is shocking that instead of reducing the number of laws for cruelty this committee in all its collective experience has recommended the increase of an additional law. As always women sexual predators have been exempted from punishment for sexually harassing husbands and male children.
- The committee has ignored the principles of natural justice and in Rape cases supports presumption of guilt on the accused and presumption of truthfulness on the female complainant. We are surprised on how a committee which such eminent panel members chose to ignore this fundamental pillar of justice even as the police reports states that over 74% to 90% rapes in India are false.
- The committee has also not recommended any solution to the overwhelming majority of false rapes in India in which are consensual sex converted to rape later by women when the relationship sours or marriage does not take place.
- A court in Delhi has recently ticked off a mother and daughter duo for habitually filing false rape cases for grabbing property. There are thousands more like these who have filed false cases when jilted or with a hidden agenda. Since over 74% to 90% reported rape cases are false in India, a person accused of sexual assault cannot expect to get a fair trial at all if all of the relevant evidence of the alleged victim’s sexual history is not presented before the court. However the committee has recommended that past sexual escapades of a woman will have no bearing on the current cases essentially striking down another defense of the innocently accused.
I state that these recommendations if implemented will lead to millions of men denied protection from crimes committed by women and will be essentially condemned as rapists without any hope of getting a fair trail even as female sexual predators and female false rape case and sexual harassment filers will roam freely in society. The coalition hereby demand that the legal recommendations be scrapped in its entirety and below amends be made.
1. Make Rape Law Gender Neutral as in other countries of the globe with punishment for female sex offenders.
2. Relationship cheating cases should not be allowed to be converted into rape cases which suck the scare resources from genuine rape cases.
3. False complaints of Rape cases and sexual harassment cases, should be punished severely, so that genuine cases like ‘Nirbhaya’, gets justice.
4. Introduce the much required police reforms and Judicial reforms to increase conviction rates of rape cases
Copy to : Shri Venkaiah Naidu
30 Auranzeb Road
New Delhi – 110011
23019387, 23019388, Mobile: 9868181988