By Peter Piot, President of the General Assembly, 3 July 2008,Dear Colleagues, Please find below a link to download the Summary of the High-Level Meeting on AIDS prepared by the President of the General Assembly. (Note by the President of the General Assembly A/62/895).
The Summary reflects the challenges and issues raised at the High-Level Meeting and highlights the following key findings and recommendations:
– Accelerating progress towards universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support;
– Scaling up critical HIV prevention;
– Strengthening health systems;
– A human rights-based approach to the AIDS response;
– Promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment;
– Engaging multiple sectors in the AIDS response;
– Mobilizing sufficient financial resources for the AIDS response;
– Meeting the epidemic’s multigenerational challenge;
– Mobilizing greater leadership, commitment and accountability.
Most notably, Universal Access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support by 2010 was recognized as "an important step on the road to achievement of MDGs by 2015", while UNAIDS was called upon to "continue monitoring progress of national AIDS responses."
The document is a valuable tool to help advance the AIDS response and to strengthen linkages with the global development agenda. It provides a timely and constructive contribution to the upcoming High-Level Meetings on Africa’s Development Needs and the Millennium Development Goals to be held in New York on September 22 and 25, respectively, as well as the International Conference on Financing for Development that will take place in Doha at the end of November.
Download the President’s Report http://data.unaids.org/pub/BaseDocument/2008/20080703_pgasummary_a62895_en.pdf