The EC had banned Shah from campaigning in UP after he made controversial statements amounting to violation of model code of conduct. However, the poll panel yesterday modified its order concerning the Gujarat BJP leader.
The EC lifted the ban after Shah gave undertaking that he wouldn’t disturb public order and tranquillity.
“In your representation, you have stated, inter alia, that you undertake on oath that I shall not use abusive or derogatory language in the campaign and shall not make any utterances violative of model code of conduct…” the EC order said.
“The Commission, having considered your aforesaid assurance/undertaking, has decided to modify its order dated , April 11, 2014 to the effect that permission may be granted for holding any public meetings, public processions, public rallies’ road shows’ etc” by the concerned district administration authorlties where you are expected or likely to participate,” the order said.
The Commission also noted that Shah had pledged that he will in no manner give cause to be accused as having indulged in any act of commission or omission which has the effect of prejudicially affecting the public tranquility and law & order.
While giving him a “second chance” the Commission said it will “closely monitor Shah’s campaign by constant video tracking by concerned district election authorities.
Shah had earlier agreed to abide by the Election Commission’s decision of censuring him for violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
He said that the intention in my speeches was not to violate the Model Code. He said, “It is the Election Commission’s prerogative to interpret my speeches. The Election Commission is the supreme body and I will abide by its decision. When any bowler bowls, he also throws a no-ball.”
“EC is the topmost body in India & I abide by its decision. Even the best bowler slips & No balls, I’m no different,” he tweeted.
The Election Commission had on Wednesday censured Shah and Uttar Pradesh Minister Azam Khan for making controversial remarks during campaigning.
The EC’s decision came days after it had banned the two leaders from campaigning in Uttar Pradesh during the ongoing Lok Sabha elections.
Shah had filed an appeal before the Commission seeking a review of its decision banning him from campaigning.
While censuring Shah and Khan, the EC had also condemned their statements after going through their responses to the show cause notices issued to them.
Shah had landed in a major controversy for his remarks that the upcoming general election was an opportunity to seek “revenge for the insult” inflicted during the riots in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh last year.
The EC took cognisance of his remarks made in Shamli, Bijnore and Muzaffarnagar in West UP.
Source : ZNEWS.