4 Sep :The President of India, Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil shall launch a National Portal For Teachers at Rashtrapati Bhavan tomorrow on the occasion of Teachers’ Day.The primary purposes of the Portal by the National Knowledge Commission in partnership with the Azim Premji Foundation is to build knowledge, share knowledge and create a vibrant network of teachers.
One of the important ideas articulated by the National Curriculum Framework-2005 is that the school curriculum should be an inclusive space that extends beyond the conventional curricular realm of textbooks into the realm of teaching-learning processes that enables children to participate in their own learning and provides the teacher with the opportunity to plan according to the pace and context of the learner.
The objectives of the portal are:
• To provide a forum for sharing and interaction for teachers outside the formal training environment.
• Support the development of a knowledge community amongst teachers.
• A forum to share best practices.
• Support the creation of a body of knowledge to motivte teachers to access, apply and add value to existing knowledge.
• Strengthen initiatives on teacher development.
• Make help available for professional development of teachers.