11 July:The NREGA workers in rural poor category could now be included under Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY). The consent of Ministry of Finance in this regard has an endorsement from the Ministry of Rural Development’s request for the inclusion of NREGA workers among the persons eligible for insurance cover under JBY. This inclusion will be subject to the following condition for eligibility:-
• The head of a rural household that has been registered under NREGA and has a job card would be eligible for insurance cover.
• Such a person should have worked under NREGA for a minimum period of 15 days in a year. The person will be eligible after the minimum prescribed number of days worked are completed.
• The insurance cover needs to be renewed each year and the beneficiary would have to work for at least 15 days in a financial year to be eligible to renew his/her insurance.
• A person will not be eligible for insurance cover under this scheme if she/he has already been covered by any other insurance schemes for life and disability sponsored by any other Ministry/Department of the Government of India or of the State Government.
• 50% of the total premium of Rs.200/- per beneficiary per annum i.e. Rs 100/- shall be paid by the beneficiary/Nodal Agency/ State Government. The Government of India share of Rs 100/- will be paid out of the Social Security Fund with LIC.
• The Nodal officer for the Scheme will be the Programme Officer of NREGA at the Block/District level.