In its first business meeting with the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor (henceforth VC only), PUTA had a two-hour long discussion on issues identified by the executive.
1. CAS: VC promised to expedite the process of interviews. The pending cases would be covered very soon. The new UGC guidelines very unambiguously state that CAS promotions pending before the implementation of the new pay-scales would be processed according to the old mechanism. We see no reason that CAS interviews should be delayed any longer.
2. Recruitment of New Faculty: VC informed the executive that more than 350 positions are to be filled up soon. The applications have already been invited. We shall soon procure the break up of this number. We believe that this recruitment is more for the new courses/ departments.
3. Master Seniority List: VC objected to the timing of this demand, yet he agreed to work for Master Seniority List. He promised to form a committee soon on the issue. We shall track vigilantly the progress made in this direction. Our experience is that most of the committees tend to postpone the issue.
4. Streamlining of Faculty Houses/ Guest Houses, etc.: VC told that 12 more rooms are being added to Golden Jubilee for the Academic Staff College. Out of its own funds, the University would make a new wing in the University Guest House. New furniture is being provided to the guest house at Shimla. However, he did not answer to the issue of the streamlining of the functioning of the guest houses. We continue to receive complaints from the faculty about rooms being denied to outside experts/scholars/ visiting professors at the eleventh hour. We shall keep on reminding the VC the need of making the working of guest houses transparent.
5. Repair/ Maintenance of Existing Infrastructure: VC expressed his helplessness over the working of the Estate Office. However he assured that the serious problems would be addressed at a priority. He wanted a PUTA committee to assist him monitor the working of the Estate Office.
PUTA requests the faculty to give us written complaints/ demands of repair/ maintenance of houses, teaching blocs etc. at the earliest (latest by 15th Nov., 2009). We want to make a consolidated folder of such complaints and then we shall diligently monitor the response of Estate Office to such complaints. We shall see to it that necessary repair/maintenance is done within a timeframe.
6. Intercom Facility: On the issue of extending intercom facility to campus houses, VC expressed his consent. He said soon a committee would be constituted to work out the modalities of such an arrangement. The facility would however be extended against some nominal payment.
7. Staff Club: VC declared that Rs. 5 lakhs would be given this year for the construction of rooms at the first floor of the Community Centre, Sector, 25. He also agreed to PUTA’s demand of increase in grant of aid for staff club to Rs 60,000, from the present Rs. 30,000/ –. We would ensure that Staff Club indeed gets the money announced. VC also agreed to the demand of adding new treadmill exerciser at the University Gymnasium for men.
8. Parking: VC expressed concern at the growing volume of traffic in the campus. He asked PUTA to come forward with its suggestions. PUTA committee on Parking has already started its work, and very soon a comprehensive report would be submitted to VC. Meanwhile we also ask faculty members to send their suggestion on the streamlining of traffic and parking in the campus.