Over the years profile of the faculty of Panjab University has undergone a change. With the opening of many new departments, self-financing courses, setting up of Centre Government funded constituent colleges and growth of regional centers at Hoshiarpur, Ludhiana, Muktsar etc and diversification of courses on the University Campus, the induction of large-scale guest/contract faculty and the presence of re-employed teachers calls for a serious debate as what shape should the PUTA constitution take to meet the new challenges. PUTA constitution was enacted long back and it takes care for only the University of yesteryears. We at PUTA have decided to take up the task to amend constitution. For that purpose we would like suggestions from the Faculty. We are suggesting you a range of questions that possibly can give the direction to the exercise of amendment:
1. Is there need to re-group the departments? If yes, what should be the new basis for it and how many groups should be created?
2. Should the Departments with more than 50 faculty members be given separate representation on the pattern of Dept of Evening Studies or USOL?
3. Should the constituent units of the University i.e. regional centers and constituent colleges should be given representation in the central PUTA Executive, or not?
4. If these units have to be given representation, what should be the criterion?
5. Should the contractual teachers be made PUTA members and their representation be ensured in the Executive or not?
6. How can the reemployed teachers be given representation in the PUTA Executive?
7. There can be a debate to allow dual membership by certain categories of members such as Librarians.
8. Should there be a code of conduct for the candidates contesting the elections?
9. Can we streamline electioneering?
10. Can the tenure of PUTA executive be enhanced to two years?
11. Can we set a limit on maximum number of terms (say, not more than two/ three) for the office of President and Secretary?
12. Can we change the timing of elections? Can we take it to November/December? This is pertinent because of semester system.
13. Should President of the outgoing PUTA be made ex officio member of the next PUTA executive?
14. Should co-option of the members of the Senate in the PUTA be done away with? Or should the two senior most professors of the University (after DUI) be co-opted instead?
15. Should the annual membership be deducted from the salary at the source itself? This would simplify the process of annual exercise of enrollment of PUTA membership?
16. Any other question/suggestion that comes to your mind.
PUTA members are requested to give their feed back by 15 October, 2011 through e-mail to PUTA office. The e-mail IDs are: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com