CHANDIGARH-September 28, 2011: The Syndicate of the Panjab University at its meeting held here today –
Observed two minutes silence to condole the sad demise of Dr. P.S. Kaushal, Professor retired, Department of Botany and Padam Bhusan Shri G.P. Chopra, President, D.A.V. Colleges Managing Committee.
The House took up the issue of the recent selection to the post of Controller of Examinations. Each member put forth his individual view point and on the basis of majority voice vote, the selection was not approved. However, the Vice-Chancellor placed his reservation on record as the decision “may reflect on the working of the Office of the Dean University Instruction, coordinating the screening process and that of the Selection Committee which comprised of members of international repute”. Mr. Chatrath abstained from the discussion on account of a relative having been a prospective candidate.
Other key decisions included:
(1) Approval of the grant of Provident Fund to temporary/daily-wage/contractual employees of the University.
(2) Approval of all cases of confirmation, selection and promotion barring those in the Department of Laws and UILS on account of a stay granted by the Court. A few other appointments also stood withdrawn on account of technical reasons.
(3) The rule barring a grant of subsidies for attending International Conference etc. held abroad to faculty with less than three years of remaining service was done away with.
(4) The House adopted the Punjab Govt. Gazette Notification for enhancing the maximum age limit to 37 years for recruitment to technical and non-technical posts.
(5) The Semester System in M.A. Education would be introduced at the University level alone for the current academic session.
(6) The Enquiry Report submitted by Justice S.K. Jain (Retd.) regarding the closure of the Examination Centre at the Guru Nanak College, Ferozepur Cantt due to incidence of violence during the undergraduate University examinations, April 2011 was approved.
(7) The House approved temporary extension of affiliation to various colleges for different courses as per the Reports of the Inspection Committees.
(8) The Award of Ph.D. Degrees to 20 candidates from different disciplines was also approved as per the list given below:-
(i) Mr. Sanjeev Goel
(ii) Mr. Jasvinder Singh
(iii) Mr. Rakhee Dewah
(iv) Mr. Rakesh Kumar
(v) Ms. Sukhjeet Kaur
(vi) Ms. Jyoti Khurana
(vii) Mr. Karan Veer Singh
(viii) Ms. Rashmi Dhawan
(ix) Mr. Baljinder Singh
(x) Mr. Ajay Kumar
(xi) Ms. Veenu Khurana
(xii) Ms. Parvinder Kaur
(xiii) Ms. Mannika Kapil
(xiv) Mr. Arif Ahmed Mohammed Hassan Al-Ahdal
(xv) Mr. Arvind Kumar
(xvi) Ms. Anupam Nahar
(xvii) Ms. Arti Jolly
(xviii) Mr. Ramesh Kumar
(xix) Mr. Harminder Singh Bains
(xx) Mr. Ahmed H. Ali