CHANDIGARH: February 29, 2012: The Syndicate in its meeting held today took the following key decisions :-
1. The appointment of Professor Naval Kishore as Dean, College Development Council (DCDC) was approved unanimously. Certain complaints regarding alleged irregularities in the framing of qualifications etc. of the post of DCDC had been made to the Chancellor, Dr. M. Hamid Ansari. The Vice-Chancellor, Professor R.C. Sobti had constituted a nine member Committee to look into the same. The Committee felt “that the complaint is baseless and bereft of any merit and deserves to be ignored” and further recommended that the “Vice-Chancellor place the recommendations of the Selection Committee before the Syndicate”. The same was done and the House unanimously approved the selection.
2. The Vice-Chancellor also brought to the notice of the House certain welfare measures, such as, that there would be no fee hike in any course run by the University; fee waiver for orphan students subject to fulfillment of certain conditions; enhancement of TA/DA of P.U. Campus students from Rs.100/- to Rs.190/-; salary of part-time lecturers in the Department of Laws was enhanced from Rs.15,600/- per month to Rs.20,800/- per month.
3. Cases of re-employment would be considered in one go for three years with break of one-day following superannuation. Every year only the academically active status report would be required to be submitted by the concerned faculty member through the Head of Department with an advance copy to the Dean University Instruction. The Vice-Chancellor would be the competent authority to accept this report and allow continuance of the said teacher.
4. Regarding the case of issuing sanction for prosecution of Prof. R.K. Wanchoo, the House accepted the recommendation received from Dr. Wajahat Habibhullah, Chairperson, National Commission for Minorities, G.O.I. that the case may be closed on the same grounds by which the Board of Governors of the National Institute of Technology, Srinagar had refused the sanction of prosecution for Prof. Mir and Ms. Nisar and recommended to the HRD Ministry that the case may be closed.
5. Awarding of 20 doctorate degrees were approved. Further it was also decided that a Committee would be constituted to lay down guidelines to ensure that in case of research that has continued over a longer duration, the thesis not be accepted without any updation in the data. The House accepted the recommendation of the Joint Research Board that to overcome the problem of acute shortage of Professors in certain subjects, after the viva voce of a Ph.D. candidate is held, the position be reviewed and those examiners, who have not been appointed from the recommended panel of examiners, be recommended again for appointment to evaluate the Ph.D. thesis.
6. The Syndicate approved the recommendations of the Board of Finance.
7. The Syndicate condoled the sad demise of Sh. Partap Singh father of Professor Paramjit Singh, former Registrar and observed two minutes silence, all standing, in the memory of departed soul.
8. Career Advancement Scheme (CAS) was approved by the House. It is also pertinent to mention that the formation of a Search Committee for the Vice-Chancellor of Panjab University would not hamper on going selections/promotions.
9. The Syndicate felicitated University School of Communication Studies on being awarded the Chankaya Award at the 6th Global Conclave by the Public Relations Council of India; Professor N.S. Mann, former Chairperson, Department of Physical Education on his having been elected as President of Sports Psychological Association of India (SPAI); the Horticulture Department for bagging various awards for the Professor R.C. Paul Memorial Rose Garden at the 40th Rose Festival organized by the U.T. Administration; Ms. Neha Singla, a Research Scholar in the Department of Bio-Physics on her bagging ‘Young Investigator’ award from International Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation; Team Chargeurs Phoenix, a team of 11 students of UIET on having won he first prize in a national level motor sports event “BABA SAEINDIA-2012” held in Indore.