1. What is Mobile Number Portability?
Mobile Number Portability (MNP) is a service offered by all mobile service providers that allows you to switch over to another service provider while retaining your existing mobile phone number. So now you can join the exciting world of Vodafone keeping the number you’ve always had.
2. How will you benefit from MNP?
You are free to choose a new mobile service provider without having to change to a new number. You don’t have to notify friends/ family and associates about your new operator when you move to Vodafone or any other operator. Just use your phone like you always do.
3. Is portability available throughout India?
4. Is portability available on both prepaid and postpaid?
Yes, existing Prepaid subscribers can request either Prepaid or Postpaid services with the new operator. The same is the case with Postpaid.
5. Can get a number from another city?
No. The only restriction is that you can change your operator without changing your number only within your current service area. Which means subscribers cannot take their Delhi number to an operator in Mumbai . They can only change their operator within Delhi.
6. How much is it going to cost me?
The cost of porting a number to a new operator is Rs 19
7. How long will porting take once I submit my request to my telecom provider?
Porting time capped at 7 working days by telecom regulator Trai except in Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and North East service areas, where it will be 15 working days.
8. So, my mobile will be dysfunctional for 7 days?
No, your number will be active throughout the process except the No Service Period, which is only 2 hours.
9. Are there any restrictions on MNP?
Consumers will have to remain with the new operator for three months before moving on. In case of postpaid, customers will have to clear their outstanding bill amount.
10. Will my prepaid balance carry forward?
No, any prepaid balance will lapse so use your credit before porting.
11. Will my old SIM work?
No, your new provider will issue you a new SIM with your old number.
12. How do I port my number?
1. Obtain unique porting code by sending sms from your mobile number that you want to port. For this sms ‘1900’ with text ‘PORT’ followed by space followed by your 10 digit mobile number that you want to port.
2. Contact New mobile provider and obtain Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) and porting form
3. Fill the CAF and porting form
4. Submit the filled forms along with the required documents to your new mobile provider
5. In case of postpaid customers, you need to submit a paid copy of last bill along with the form.
6. Obtain new SIM from your new service provider.
13. What documents must a Prepaid/Postpaid customer submit while making a port in request to Vodafone?
The customer will have to submit the same documents as any new customer. You will also need a self-attested photograph, ID proof and an address proof with your signature. You will need to fill out Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) and porting form.
14. What about the deposits a subscriber has made, and is lying to his credit with the Original Operator? Would this amount be transferred to the new Operator along with his number if he wishes to change the Operator? If so, what is the time period?
Every telecom company will have its own SOP but from what we gather, the money will be refunded back to the customer once bill and unbilled amounts are cleared.
15. Can a landline number be ported?