5 August :The Central Government has been implementing a scheme called Development of Infrastructure Facilities for the Judiciary since 1993-94. The scheme is operated on a 50:50 basis.
• Till date an amount of Rs.794.44 crore has been provided to the States and Uts to augment their resources for construction of courts and residential accommodation for the judiciary. The State Governments are expected to contribute a minimum amount equal to the Central assistance provided to them though they are free to spend higher amounts.
• As per information complied, the States had reported a total expenditure of Rs.1442.95 crore upto 30.6.2007.
• State Governments have completed construction of 1037 court buildings and reported having 986 buildings under construction. 2061 numbers of residential accommodation had been completed and construction was ongoing in respect of 1410 buildings. In addition, 300 residences of Judges of High Courts had been taken up out of which 125 had been completed and 175 are under construction.
• The Eleventh Plan outlay for the scheme is Rs.701.08 crore.
• In 2007-08, Rs.103.08 crore was provided to the States.
• For 2008-09, an amount of Rs. 133 crore has been provided in the Budget for the scheme.
Computerisation of District and Subordinate Courts:
• The Central Government has already computerized city courts in metropolitan cities and State Capitals or cities where the principal seat of the High Court is located.
• In the period 2000-01 to 2003-04, Rs.42 crore was spent for computerization of 1600 such courts.
• A scheme of comprehensive computerization of all district and subordinate courts in the country and electronically linking them with the High Courts and the Supreme Court is under implementation since February 2007.
• This scheme known as ‘E-courts’ is being implemented in phases and the first phase is to be implemented at a cost of Rs.442 crore and is expected to be completed by February 2009.
• The scheme is under implementation and certain components have already been completed like
– Nearly 13365 Judges have been provided with laptops and 12074 laser printer have been provided
– Connectivity through broadband has been provided at the residences of 9524 Judges. 478 District Court complexes and 1203 Subordinate Court complexes have been provided with such connectivity.
– 11005 judicial officers and 44020 court staff have been trained in the use of ICT tools.
– Computer rooms are under construction at various locations and work is expected to be completed by 31.10.2008.
– Courts are to be provided with technical manpower to provide ‘handholding support.
– Software application is being developed.
o An amount of Rs.187.05 crore has already been provided to the National Informatics Centre for meeting the cost of the project.
o BE 2008-09 is Rs.125 crore.
o The Eleventh Plan outlay is Rs.740.60 crore.