How can I control my blood pressure without medicines?Non-pharmacologic therapy for high blood pressure is significant in the management of high blood pressure. In most cases, drugs are not necessary and lifestyle changes, followed religiously, can be adequate to bring the blood pressure to target levels. In others, medicines may be required, but the dose of the medicines required will be much less with better blood pressure control, when combined with rigorous lifestyle measures.
1. Weight reduction : if you are overweight then you must lose weight. Calculate your BMI and also measure your waist. 2. Diet plan – Restrict your calories as soon as the pointer goes there, calculate the calories which you need to consume each day ) so that you take only as many calories are required. Include a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables , include nuts in your diet and switch from refined grain foods to whole grains and whole pulses and the diet should be low on saturated fats and total fats. You can achieve 8-14 mm of Hg reduction in blood pressure through this diet. 3. Restrict salty foods. Your total salt intake in a day should not exceed 5 grams(approx 1 teaspoon). Don’t put extra salt in the salad & foods on the table.
4. Regularly exercise for a minimum of half an hour every day.
5. Avoid or minimize alcohol.
6. Relax through yoga, dance, meditation etc.
7. Give up tobacco and smoking.