Dr. Vivek Arya : kiSwami Dayanand, Yug Pravartak / Yug Drashta, Founder of Arya Samaj, rebuilt the entire Indian nation & HINDU Society in a NEW Mould where every Hindu & Arya had to believe firmly that this country ” BHARAT” is their own land & No person of FOREIGN BIRTH could ever become HEAD of its affairs in any way.
2. He believed & proved that in our Vedas there was no such thing as Untouchability . He & through his Arya Samaj succeeded in launching a Great movement against Untouchability which was followed up & taken up by Gandhiji & Congress in a BIG way during our Freedom struggle & post -independence.
3. Child Marriages : In Maharishi Dayanand’s days, the child marriages were a very common factor. Maharishi Dayanand & his Arya Samaj propagated against this curse from our Hindu Society. Even now , it is prevalent in certain regions & amongst backward Hindus.
4. Maharishi Dayanand & its Arya Samaj launched yet another related curse of Hindu Society , namely, marrying more than one wife or Polygamy: Arya Samaj through “Magic Lantern ” Arya Pracharaks who travelled widely deep into the villages & towns successfully removed this evil from our Hindu society. (Subsequently, it was lawfully abolished under Hindu Code bill ).Still there are examples of this curse of Polygamy amongst our Hindus, which is spreading like a menace which requires to be controlled at all levels, specially our Politicians & Affluent class require some Ved Prachar for it.
5.AryaSamaj successfully fought with the orthodox Brahmin Community & established that there was No example in the Vedas to worship the idol as God is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and formless, once it is omnipresent, it cannot be confined under lock & key any where NOR evn in their so called Temples which have become Nothing more that “Religious shops ” for the pandits.
6. Dayanand preached & pleaded with the Orthodox Hindu Community to return to Vedas in true sense & to follow its dictates. He organized to obtain the Original Vedas from Germany & translated them in simple Sanskrit & Hindi along with his famous Book , ” Rigveda Bhashya” , “Solah Sanaskars”etc.
7. Swami Dayanand propagated that all people are born equal & No one is Brahmin, Vaishya, Shatriya or Shudra by birth , but these are according to the profession one chooses and each of these sects are complimentary to each other & None is superior or inferior to the other.
8.Dayanand infused a thought amongst our Hindu Society that the West has not contributed anything towards the emancipation of our Country’s welfare, rather the West owe to us for everything, every progress which they unjustifiably claim of theirs, including the invention of “Zero”.
9. Dayanand strongly believed in a National Religion , based on intense dedicated, true, selfless, fearless nationalism , a thought which he propagated amongst all the Hindus of India, preparing for Self-Rule & Freedom, based on equality ; its details are enshrined in ” Sstyarth Prakash” by Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati. This was his life’s greatest mission
10. Brought about widows re-marriages amongst the Hindus.
11. Pleaded & Stopped the most barbaric & most orthodox “Sati- Pratha” amongst the Hindus of our country.
12. Dayanand & Its Arya Samaj hit hard on the Blind faiths of Hindu Society & awakened them of these fake/ false Blind faiths which were spread amongst Hindu Society falsely by various orthodox Hindu organizations.
13. Shuddhi Prachaar of Dayanand Saraswati & Arya Samaj was & still the Greatest contribution to Hindu Society , thereby bringing back our brothers & sisters whom we had lost to other religions owing to our orthodox beliefs.
14. Spread of education to all irrespective of one being a boy or girl, of being a Brahmin or of other so called castes. Dayanand & its Arya Samaj played its greatest role in starting women’s Education every where in India & to every one irrespective of Caste,Creed, Sex etc.
15. In the field of Education again Maharishi Dayanand played its greatest role in strengthening Hindu Society.
16. Dayanand’s Arya Samaj opened its First Orphanage in Firozepore , followed by a chain of Orphanages all over the country so that our orphans may not adopt other religions like Islam or Christianity.
17. In the same way, Dayanand’s Arya Samaj opened Homes for the widows & Destitude womens to accommodate , train them in some useful profession & to get them married to suitable partners in course.
18. Dayanand / Arya Samaj succeeded in removing the Pardha System from our Hindu Society and Brought Hindu women at par with men-folk.
19.Dayanand launched a movement successfully that studying of Sanskrit , Vedas & Upnishidas is Not restricted to Brahamins alone but every caste had equal Rights to study these including women-folk .
20. Dayanand & its Arya Samaj gave Rights to wear Yagopaveet to every Hindu irrespective of one’s birth.
21. In those days, any Hindu Travellers overseas, had to undergo penance & give away a lot of gifts to Orthodox Brahmins for allowing them to re-admit to Hindu Dharma, but Dayanand got rid of such ills from Orthodox Hindu Society.
22. Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati, first time, told the Hindu Society the difference of the meaning of good Governance & “own Independent Rule ” & instigated people to demand self /own independent rule & to throw away the foreign yoke of slavery of the Britrishers. Maharishi Dayanand was the First Indian who announced for the First Time that Bharatvarsh is only of Bharatvasies & we should have our own Self Independent Rule.
23. Maharishi Dayanand & its Arya Samaj emphasized on Swadeshi & patronising of Swadeshi Products only amongst all the Hindu Community .
24 . If Hindi remained the main stay of our freedom struggle, it was because of Maharishi Dayanand , even today, Dayanand’s Arya Samaj can take this credit for the Promotion of Hindi as a National language all over the country .
25. Dayanand & its Arya Samaj gave to Hindu Orthodox Society , great thinkers, National Leaders & Revolutionaries like : Lala Lajpat Rai, Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Bipin Chandra Pal, Shri Arvind Ghosh, Bhai Parmanand, Bhai Shyamji Krishna Verma, Bhagat Singh, Ram Prasad Bismil, Bhai Bal Mukund, Madanlal Dhingra,Madan Mohan Malviye, Swami Shraddhanand & Pandit Lekhram & others as well as Most of the revolutionaries, who defacto brought about our Independence .
26. Dayanand & Arya Samaj always believe that begging is a worst thing , it is never liked by any one , rather it demoralizes the beggar, hence Dayanand insisted the Hindu Society as a whole to stand on its own feet , on its own good deeds & to come forward to sacrifice one’s life for the Nation .
27. Hindu Women have to pay back to Swami Dayanand Saraswati the Greatest , if he had not come forward to improve their Social Rights, rights to educate themselves, right to read Vedas , Upnishads, Remarriages , equal rights as per men’s , abolition of Dowry system, equal opportunity to select their partners etc.the Indian womens could never have attained their emancipation & would have remained as backword as Muslim women of the world.
And Many- many more Contributions of Arya Samaj to the Hindu Society
Dr Vivek Arya