By – Gaurav Kumar : With the advent of multinational companies and globalization, India has emerged as a hot place for job seekers with lot of opportunities in various sectors. Indian companies are now rich with great talent in the world and million dollars offshore projects. Information Technology is one of the demanding fields where the Indian talent is asked for their remuneration with lot of growth prospects.
Numbers of domains are associated with the I.T. industry in the world where a professional can bring home a thick packet of salary. Web applications development is one of the areas where jobs as well as remunerations are endless.
Web application development is very wide domain in which a job seeker should choose one of his interests out of abundant programming languages, scripts, tools and packages. Obviously, one should be able to be perfect in particular programming language or tool because it is very difficult to be expert in everything.
In Web development, there are many fields where a candidate can move with sufficient knowledge and proficiency. Various positions in any Web Development Company are listed here –
1. Web Designer
2. Flash Designer and Game Specialist
3. Web Master and Portal Manager
1. WEB DESIGNER
Web designer is responsible for user interface design of a website. It includes designing of logo, banners, advertisements as well as other interactive elements. Its main goal is includes the development of user friendly, interactive and attractive designs so that user click on most of the links or banners. Moreover, the contents are presented to the end user in form of web pages. These interactive elements are placed in a website using markup languages. So, a web designer should be proficient in atleast HTML which is very common and effective markup language.
In general practice, a web designer is responsible for creating static web pages rather than database driven dynamic web pages. Here, static web page refers to the web document which remains same in content and layout unless the web designer changes it manually.
On other part, dynamic web pages change its structure and contents depending upon the input given by the end-user.For a commercial website, the following aspects are considered –
1. Quality of images
2. Quality of Content or simply Effective Content Writing
3. User Friendly with simple, efficient and reliable interfaces
4. Search Engines Friendly
5. Color combination of text, background and images
6. Quick downloading of pages
7. Consistency in all web pages of the website
8. Consistency in navigation
1.1 DESIRED PROFILE
* Graduate in any Discipline.
* Good Communication Skills to interact directly with the Client.
* Good knowledge of Designing Concepts,
* Exposure to Search Engine Optimization Techniques
* Awareness of the latest trend in web designing & development.
* Basic knowledge of server side scripts and database handling.
* Knowledge to customize the web applications for multiple web browsers – Microsoft Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla Firefox
* Updating and maintaining the company Websites on regular basis.
* To help in providing input and support for design functionality.
* Understanding and gathering the client’s requirements and designing as per specifications
* Delivering Creative Visualizations designs of Websites based on client requisition.
* Designing banners/templates/logo and other media elements including.
* Digital image processing using Adobe PhotoShop, Flash and other tools.
2. FLASH DESIGNER AND GAME SPECIALIST
Flash designer is responsible for developing attractive and eye-catchy animations for the website to attract the visitors. Various 2D/3D designs are developed using Macromedia Flash and Action Scripting. Flash animators work on professional product demos, advertisements and animations. Creativity, good understanding of the design specification and translation of business ideas into stunning animations/presentations is expected from a Flash Designer.
Action script programmers work on online games, corporate intros and product demonstrations. Good knowledge in AS2 and AS3 (Action Script) and SCORM (Sharable Content Object Reference Model) are required to become the team member of Action Script programmers.
A fresh animator becomes the part of a team of producers who are responsible for producing effective and high quality games. The key job functions of the animators include producing ultimate games from concept stage till final publishing on the website. The game developers handle the external clients as well as in-house teams.
While working as a key resource in online game development division, the candidates get familiar with various tools for creating wonderful animations.
2.1 DESIRED PROFILE
* Graduate in any discipline
* Strong working knowledge and understanding of current web standards and user interface
* Excellent 2D and 3D Animation skills
* Ability to visualize and illustrate storyboards.
* Good conceptualization and visualization skills.
* Proactive in mocking up animation ideas
* Comprehensive knowledge of Multimedia Packages.
* Knowledge of CorelDraw, SoundForge, Flash Action Scripting (AS 2.0 & AS 3.0) and experience as an animator for international clients will be an advantage.
* Good analytical skills and aptitude
* Ability to handle projects independently as well as excellent in interacting with the team members.
* Game enthusiast
* Interacting with client to analyze their requirement.
* Performing quality work and add value by suggesting innovative ways of game programming and optimization of the game through Programming.
* Video and Audio Editing
* Implementation of new technologies with ease
* Developing a project right from visualization, analysis, design, development and testing.
* Collaborate within the team to design and develop the project.
* Developing eye catchy games and animations.
* Work with other designers – both internally and externally – to connect their designs to our proprietary back-end technology.
* Work with other designers to provide a richer audience experience through the use of Flash, PHP and other advanced web technologies
3. WEBMASTER AND PORTAL MANAGER
The webmaster also called as the web architect web developer, the website author, or the website administrator, is the person who is responsible for designing, developing, marketing, or maintaining a website. Webmasters are responsible for managing all aspects of Web operations including marketing aspects. A webmaster is also named as Internet Specialist, Network/Web Engineer, Web Administrator or Web Application Engineer.
The Web Portal Manager works in the same way as a webmaster but his role is quite diversified. A web portal presents information in a website from different sources in a unified way.
Varying from the standard search engines, web portals provide other services such as
* Matrimonial Services
* Travels and Tour Management
* Stock prices and Business Details
* Career counseling and education
* Entertainment and many more
Some of the famous web portals are
3.1 DESIRED PROFILE
* Sound knowledge of website development, and should be creative enough to produce innovative designs and ideas.
* Candidate should have rich relevant experience on weblogic or websphere administration (dual skills have added advantage)
* Experience in a production environment.
* Coding (HTML / PHP / .net / ASP / Database / Java script / Joomla / oscommerce / other shopping carts / payment integration / vBulletin / CSS etc.
* Good knowledge of UNIX and Linux administration with network troubleshooting.
* Hands on Experience on CA Siteminder. CA Siteminder is a Web access management system which is having all features to manage a website or web portal.
* Web design skills and experience
* Excellent knowledge and experience with HTML at the tag level
* Thorough knowledge of browser compatibility issues for all platforms/major browsers is necessary.
* Knowledge of conversion of existing images (TIFF, BMP, PSD) for online use (JPG, GIF) using Adobe ImageReady and PhotoShop.
* Thorough knowledge of browser compatibility issues for all platforms/major browsers.
* Creating and maintaining websites and online marketing
* Handling issues with technology
* Creating new content and updating old content on websites
* Monitoring search engine optimization and placement
* Tracking effectiveness of online marketing and website lead capturing
* Trading links with appropriate sites
* Install SSL certificates
* Integration of web infrastructure components with each other and Line of Business applications
* Installation of database plug-ins and connectivity
* Managing URL redirections
* Managing concurrency and security in website.
Author is a Sr. Lecturer (Department of Computer Applications) in Chitkara Institute of Engineering and Technology , Rajpura, Punjab