6 June,Lolano P. Khuvung :It was in the year 1895, when the first American Baptist Missionaries Dr. and Mrs. Clark moved to Impur, and opened the Clark Memorial Higher Secondary School, Impur (CMHSS) then Mission Training School on 11th April.
Today, the CMHSS has lived through 113 years and proudly stands as the oldest school in Nagaland, with the motto, “Towards Excellence.” This pioneering institute of our land has contributed immensely to the growth of education, spread the gospel of Jesus Christ and moulded the lives of our people in all respects. A closer look at the history of the school shows that it has passed through many turbulent times, and while the school was just hanging by a thread, the Kohima Ao Baptist Church came to its rescue in the year 1993, and during the five years of its adoption, the school was attached up to standard X in 1997.
The school was upgraded to Higher Secondary School (Science Stream) in 1999, in commemoration of its attainment of 100 years and since then with the joint efforts from supporting churches, contributions from individuals and organizations and the ceaseless contributions from the Board of Trustees, the school is surviving in carrying out the objective of the pioneer missionary, Dr. Clark who established the school.
The students and the teachers have been working tirelessly together, making outstanding performances in the HSLC and HSSLC examination. Apart from classroom teachings and learning the school emphasizes on various co-curricular activities like sports, music and other literary activities. Presently, the school imparts computer, music and scripture lessons along with the general subject. The school has also introduced N.C.C. with the vision to help the students lead a disciplined life. It is gratifying and praiseworthy that CMHSS has lived through 113 years. And it is a matter of pride that the school has produced renowned personalities like the first captain of Indian Olympic Football team Dr. T. Ao, the first Chief Minister of Nagaland, Dr. P. Shilu Ao and the first Naga Governor, Dr. Hokishe Sema.
Truly the institution has fulfilled the vision of Dr. E.W.Clark, who before his departure from Nagaland said, “If the churches are to be intelligent and self-reliant and aggressive new effort must be spread to make the Christian schools as efficient as possible.”
On the 75th Anniversary of CMHSS Impur, (then Impur Mission School) on 11th April 1970, the first Naga Governor and an alumnus of the school Dr. Hokishe Sema said, “Impur Mission School is not a mere school, it is an institution which changed the entire course of our culture and customs. It lit the torch which enlightened the dark crags of Naga Hills and brought the rays of modern new life to our hamlets and removed the grimness of social environment. It produced leaders of thought and action who brought a revolution to our isolated villages. It produced men of intellectual and humanity who brought the message of love and tolerance, truth and devotion. It knit us into a community and instilled a sense of pride and self respect.”
CMHSS, Impur, can rightly be labeled as the cradle of present day education, which occupies a place of honor in our history. Her role during the past one century has brought about a transformation in the Naga society, specially in the field of education. The CMHSS today has sufficient modern class rooms, chapel hall, well equipped computer centre, science lab, basketball court, football field and other facilities including good hostels for both boys and girls looked after by theologically trained wardens. It also has more than 30 experienced and dedicated teachers and staff.
The result of the school in this year’s HSLC Examination was 100 % with three of them placed in the 1st Division out of 17 students passing out. This has been another booster to the students and the school which is starting the Arts Stream, Higher Secondary from the current academic year of 2008.
Chronology of the institution for better understanding:
1894- Dr. Clark, Rev. Perrine and Rev. Haggard chose Impur to be the center of Christain Activities.
1895- Founding of the Impur Mission School.
1900-Arrival of Rev. W.F. Dowd, the famous educational Missionary in Impur.
1914-First Naga Headmasters under Missionaries.
a) Mr. Mitchel 1914
b) Mr. Beheli Angami 1914-1916
c) Mr. Khuzao Angami 1917
d) Mr. Kumbho Angami 1918
1919- School was renamed ‘Impur Mission Training M.E. School’.
1927- First Naga Full Fledged Headmaster- Mr. Mayangnokcha (1927-1940)
1952- School was renamed ‘Clark Memorial High School’.
1955- M.E. school was closed down
Bible school established with headmaster Mr. Ayutemjen
First Graduating class (class X)
1967- High school and Bible school were shifted and placed in one compound.
Boys’ hostel shifted to a new place.
Headmasters’ quarter shifted.
1968- Girls’ hostel shifted to a new place.
Chapel hall reconstructed
1970-Amalgamation of Clark Memorial High School and Impur Bible School and renamed ‘Clark Memorial Institute’ under one Principal.
Platinium Jubilee (April 11-12)